Sans any sort of variation on attack, including an unwillingness to kick, the Sharks came badly short in the face of an organised and abrasive Jaguares defence.
It certainly wasn’t flashy from the home side at the Estadio Jose Amalfitani (offloads, tackle breaks and line breaks were in short supply, and split evenly), and they made 22 FEWER carries than the Sharks, yet it was good enough to deliver a five-try-to-one, 34-7 victory!
The home side missed only 7 of the 122 tackles asked of them for a solid 95% success rate, and while only 4 were deemed dominant, it was an in-your-face defensive effort that delivered 4 turnovers in the tackle and 10 elsewhere.
Seemingly intent to not make use of the boot (Rob du Preez only kicked once, while Louis Schreuder kicked 4 times), the visitors just kept on hammering away with ball in hand. It was a blunt attacking effort that saw the Sharks make 11 handling errors and concede 13 turnovers.
As with the Lions at Ellis Park, a lot of this damage was done at the breakdown, where the home side reigned supreme – the Sharks had to live on slow ball as they lost 7 rucks.
In comparison, the two Jaguares halfbacks made as many kicks as the entire Sharks team in making better use of both their territory and possession. It was as convincing a win as one gets in rugby, and a result that should have the powers that be in Durban very worried indeed.
A look at the match stats from the Estadio Jose Amalfitani:
- Points: JAG 34-7 SHA
- Tries: JAG 5-1 SHA
- Goal kicking %: JAG 44% – 100% SHA
- Possession: JAG 50% – 50% SHA
- Territory: JAG 48% – 52% SHA
- Ball in play: 35 minutes
- Ball Carries: JAG 86-108 SHA
- Metres run: JAG 483-630 SHA
- Metres per carry: JAG 5.6-5.8 SHA
- Line breaks: JAG 3-3 SHA
- Tackle breaks: JAG 5-3 SHA
- Passes: JAG 147-144 SHA
- Good Passes: JAG 140-134 SHA
- Offloads: JAG 6-8 SHA
- Rucks won: JAG 66-82 SHA
- Rucks lost: JAG 1-7 SHA
- Mauls won: JAG 4-6 SHA
- Turnovers conceded: JAG 7-13 SHA
- Tackles made: JAG 115-127 SHA
- Tackles missed: JAG 7-10 SHA
- Tackle success: JAG 95% – 93% SHA
- Dominant tackles: JAG 4-4 SHA
- Tackle turnover: JAG 4-0 SHA
- Turnovers won: JAG 10-3 SHA
- Kicks from hand: JAG 22-13 SHA
- Metres kicked: JAG 624-346 SHA
- Metres per kick: JAG 28.3-26.6 SHA
- Handling errors: JAG 5-11 SHA
- Penalties conceded: JAG 10-11 SHA
- Yellow cards: JAG 0-0 SHA
- Red cards: JAG 0-0 SHA
First phase stats:
- Lineouts won: JAG 7-11 SHA
- Lineouts stolen: JAG 3-0 SHA
- Scrums won: JAG 6-9 SHA
- Scrums lost: JAG 0-0 SHA