Full points for Montpellier

Montpellier made it back-to-back victories over Glasgow in the Champions Cup, defeating the Warriors 36-26 at Altrad Stadium on Saturday.

Glasgow, who rotated their side and led 19-14 at the turnaround, were impressive in the first-half but ultimately suffered a fourth pool loss.

The Warriors hit the ground running in France and crossed inside a minute when Fraser Brown went over after Jesse Mogg's kick was charged down. The Australian full-back was unaware of the chasing hooker in what was one of several mistakes he made during the first 40 minutes.

Montpellier responded on seven minutes though when Nemani Nadolo's pick-and-go saw him cross, coming after a clever line-out move close to the whitewash. Benoit Paillaugue followed Pete Horne in adding his side's extras so the match was level at seven apiece in a busy start.

The scoring continued soon after when Jan Serfontein had the ball pinched at the breakdown by back-row Matt Smith and that led to Horne finding a gap and slipping over. His extras made it 14-7 but again Montpol hit back, this time a line-out drive saw Romain Ruffenach go over.

Still with less than a quarter of the game gone, there was a fifth try on the board when Horne's cross-kick found Lee Jones before Nick Grigg powered through Mogg's attempted tackle. Horne was wayward with his conversion but Glasgow would see out the half with a five-point lead.

Vern Cotter's men returned much improved in the second period and stunned Glasgow with two scores in the opening seven minutes, the first coming after a trademark Nadolo break down the left wing. From the recycled ball replacement centre Henry Immelman finished off for 21-19.

That became 26-19 soon after as Paillaugue this time capitalised on Ali Price's charged down box kick to score. Glasgow needed to regroup.

But it was Montpellier who further increased their lead on 67 minutes as Nadolo was again the architect, sparking a counter attack before Aaron Cruden set up Immelman for his brace. The only negative of that fruitful spell for Montpellier was the sight of Cruden hobbling off.

Glasgow, to their credit, did not give up the fight and lovely handling allowed replacement George Horne to pick up their try bonus-point.

With one score in it once again, Montpellier looked to kick a penalty but Paillaugue was unsuccessful with an attempt off the tee, but Frans Steyn made no such mistake to secure victory before Bismark du Plessis and Ruaridh Jackson were shown late yellow cards for pushing, making for a scrappy finish to the game.

The scorers:

For Montpellier:
Tries: Nadolo, Ruffenach, Immelman 2, Paillaugue
Cons: Paillaugue 4
Pen: Steyn
Yellow Card: Du Plessis

For Glasgow:
Tries: Brown, P Horne, Grigg, G Horne
Cons: P Horne 2, Russell
Yellow Card: Jackson

Montpellier: 15 Jesse Mogg, 14 Gabriel N'gandebe, 13 Frans Steyn, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Nemani Nadolo, 10 Aaron Cruden, 9 Benoit Paillaugue, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Julien Bardy, 6 Kelian Galletier, 5 Konstantine Mikautadze, 4 Nicholaas van Rensburg, 3 Johannes Jonker, 2 Romain Ruffenach, 1 Grégory Fichten
Replacements: 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Mikheil Nariashvili, 18 Mohamed Haouas, 19 Julien Delannoy, 20 Fulgence Ouedraogo, 21 Enzo Sanga, 22 Henry Immelman, 23 Timoci Nagusa

Glasgow: 15 Ruaridh Jackson, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Nick Grigg, 12 Alex Dunbar, 11 Lee Jones, 10 Peter Horne, 9 Ali Price, 8 Samu Vunisa, 7 Matt Smith, 6 Ryan Wilson, 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Kiran McDonald, 3 Zander Fagerson, 2 Fraser Brown, 1 Jamie Bhatti
Replacements: 16 Pat MacArthur, 17 Alex Allan, 18 Siosiua Halanukonuka, 19 Scott Cummings, 20 Chris Fusaro, 21 George Horne, 22 Finn Russell, 23 Niko Matawalu

Referee: JP Doyle (Eng)
Assistant referees: Craig Maxwell-Keys (Eng), Simon McConnell (Eng)
TMO: Graham Hughes (Eng

- Team Talk Media
- Team Talk Media